When you visit a Christian church, there is a holy basin to purify you as entering the place.
In Japanese Shinto religion, we have similar ritual.
Just before entering the holy area, you would notice a big basin With running water.
People gather to purify themselves before entering.
- Take one of the ladles with your right hand,
- Receive the fresh water from the fountain mouth into the ladle,
- Wash your left hand with the water from the ladle,
- Wash the other hand as well,
- Take the ladle again with your right hand and
- Receive the water with your left hand to
- Wash your mouth three times.
Well, you watch and follow what the other people do.